Sunday, November 23, 2008

Into Albuquerque — SOLD

I am infatuated with how wide-open everything looks and feels here in New Mexico. The sky vaults over your head in an amazing way! I was struck by this motorcyclist (no- not literally), heading into a passage of light, just as you round the last corner of the Sandia mountain pass on Rt. 40, heading into Albuquerque (which replaced Rt. 66). The contrast in scale between him and the sky, and the impression of heat and asphalt really capture the essence of the road trip experience here in the southwest.

4 comments:

r garriott said...

Hi Tom,

Ohhhhh, I know that bend in the road like the back of my hand. And it Never Once occured to me to paint it! Good thing you moved out west, teach us (former) locals a thing or two about view.

Anyway, I'm writing today to say, "Tag, You're It!"

As it was put to me, "Don’t know who started this tag game but it is pretty cool. It's interesting getting the untold stories from some of my favorite artists." As you're one my favorite artist bloggers I have Tagged you. This is a good thing. It helps spread the word about your blog, and you get some pretty entertaining information about other artists.
So here are the rules:

1. Put a link in your posting to the person who tagged you.
2. List 7 unusual things about yourself.
3. Tag 7 other bloggers at the end of your post and comment on their blogs to let them know.

Great to see your new work.

Tom Pohlman said...

Soo... do you know the story behind the "Metal Cactus" sculpture that lights up at night (at this curve, on the mountain)??? When I first saw it in Jan.- I thought it looked kind of like a Roswell tribute... :>) Thank you for the compliments (as usual), AND for the Tag! It will be my pleasure to play along :>) Have a great Thanksgiving! -Tom

John Vander Stelt said...

The open road and wide open skies. I really like this piece!

Tom Pohlman said...

Hey John- I think I might like to do a much bigger version of this someday, so that the volume/scale of the sky has more impact. Thanks for the comment.