Thursday, December 4, 2008

El Comedor

Here is another painting in the Rt. 66 series I did over the summer of the relatively famous — “El Comedor de Anayas Restaurant”. They are famous for their neon/rotating “Sputnik” orb sign, which is thought to be the only one of its kind still in operation on the entire expanse of Rt. 66! Here is a link to an entire web site- dedicated to the strange genre. If you scroll down the page (just about halfway)- you can actually click-on/watch a quicktime movie of the sign in action. http://www.thelope.com/2007/10/sputversary.html

4 comments:

Douglas Hoover said...

Tom, you are certainly capturing a feeling of the place here. And thanks for turning me on to the roto-sphere, enjoyed the movie of the thing in motion!

r garriott said...

Very cool! I'm embarrassed to admit I don't recognize it (also I couldn't find the new brewer last time I was in Moriarty)...maybe my memory will jog. I'm a big fan of the 'Googie' style like those giant signs, too. I even worked in neon for a time, back in my sign painter days.

Eugenia W Martin said...

Reminds me of my childhood going to grandma’s house in Louisiana. We always stopped in Meridian MS. At the Red Hot Truck Stop. Of course, it is long one now but the old sign is still there just a matter of time before it is gone. I need to get around to painting of it. Thanks for the idea.

Tom Pohlman said...

Eugenia- Let me know when you do! With a name like Red Hot Truck Stop, you know it's going to be good! :>)