Thursday, January 29, 2009

Stepping Away— Fri. (just friday)

Do you hear that??? THAT is the call of adventure! (oops, I was wrong it wasn't adventure on the line, it was my spouse back in Ohio saying the road trip fund has been depleted!) The battery is charging for my camera, as I have decided to take a mid-winter road trip with my two boys (7 & 2) to San Diego (err- Roswell/White Sands for a daytrip)- just to break up the routine, spend some quality time and see everything there is to see between here and there! My seven year old was having a blast looking at the map and picking out places to stop along the way last night. (Im hoping he'll forget about all of that when he see's UFO's and aliens everywhere) The boys have never seen the Pacific (Im sure it will still be there when our house eventually sells back in Ohio), so tomorrow we are loading up some snacks and pointing the wagon in a westerly (southerly) direction. 

I am open to any suggestions y'all might have- especially since we are trying to do it all on a shoestring budget (It's as much about the journey as it is the destination). The only thing I had in mind (in addition to seeing the ocean) was a visit to the Zoo and maybe a museum as we make our whirlwind visit. The weather looks good: Sunny/ 72°—75°. I look forward to sharing our stories with you when we blow back into town! -Tom

My thanks to you all for your help and to RGarriott for some timely suggestions for alternate destinations! Like a candle in the wind I am... :>)

11 comments:

Jeb said...

Oh man! I'm so jealous. San Diego is a great city! Walk around Balboa Park, go to Coronado Island. If you can swing it, go up to La Jolla. There are some great galleries and it is absolutely beautiful....right on the water. If your kids are anything like mine are (6 & 2) You'll need lots of snacks!

Tom Pohlman said...

Thanks for the suggestions Jeb! I will look them up! And yeah- I think our clothes will all fit in a duffle bag- but the snacks... the snacks will just about fill all available space in the cabin- ha ha

Dana Cooper Fine Art said...

Jeb is right Tom. San Diego has so much for you to do with your boys. Have a fun, safe trip!

r garriott said...

Hey Tom,

Thanks for the suggestion to Doug about the 'glam' photos-- can't wait to the the twos-a-youse-- mine's already posted, if you only know where to look.

San Diego! Oh, man! I drove out there as an overly optimistic youth fresh outta design school, from about where you're starting. Oy! Have a super time.

s.prescott said...

Joshua tree might be a little out of your way but it is pretty sweet - I think it's the northern part of Joshua Tree I went to and there are these big mounds of boulders and stuff that are really fun to climb around on - Mason would love it - your 2yr old might fall into a crevasse and have to live with the rattlesnakes and gila monsters though.

You can skip Petrified Forest NP - it is interesting but probably pretty lame for kids - but bordering Painted Desert is a beauty.

Tom Pohlman said...

R- You continue to amaze me **wink wink/nudge nudge ** I just want to know how you got the reference for that??? It didn't look like a place you would want to leave your tripod unattended! Ha! Thanks for the well wishes :>)

STEVE! Thank you!! I might try to hit J.T. on the way back. I am thinking about traveling south of Phoenix on the way there Rts 10 and 8/ and then find my way to Rt 40 for the trek home to avoid Super Bowl traffic (if it's possible).

artbyakiko said...

Tom have a wonderful trip!!!!!

Douglas Hoover said...

Tom, I know you're probably on the road now, but here's to fun, and spontaneous journeys to you and your sons. That's what living is all about.

Oh, and the Glam-Rock days challenge... accepted!

Tom Pohlman said...

Thanks Dana & Akiko!

You said it Doug! It was a great day roaming around New Mexico, discovering new things with the young-n's. We ended up hitting two locations: Elephant Butte & White Sands National Monument. The Gypsum dunes were amazing! I think we would have liked to have spent an entire day there- but we arrived late and stayed until the sun went down (the gates were being closed as we squeeked out). It was a very memorable day for us (and I got some nifty reference shots out of it too).

But there were consequences to be paid for having all of that fun... I spent half of the day cleaning out my car (about 12 hours worth of wrappers, junk and unidentifiable "things")!

Sheila said...

Oh, what a great dad you are!!! Lego Land sounds like a perfect place for your boys. Have a wonderful time.

Camille LaRue Olsen said...

I laughed at the amended version of how it all went -- makes me feel so much better about all the shoulda's from when our girls were little. But your original intentions were still very cool and I loved what you almost did! haha What you really did do was fine, too and I'm sure the boys enjoyed the outing and change of scenery. And your car got cleaned out to boot! Can't beat that! ;D Thanks for the entertainment. C