Sunday, May 24, 2009

Shield Your Eyes... It's Obscene (Complete!)


Well~ it's done! Don't you hate it when you start a painting and "things" happen that get in the way of completing it?!!! A LOT of things have gotten in the way here lately, but I am happy to say the clouds have parted for now, and I can finally move on to bigger and better things (or OTHER things at the very least) :>) I will post a better shot in the next day or so and fill you in on some exciting news that is developing... until then, take care and I'll be around to visit real soon (I have some serious catching up to do with everyone!!!)

I know, I know- I know what you're thinking... but believe it or not, THIS is how most of my paintings actually start out- with OBSCENE chroma!!! This becomes much more painfully obvious to the eye at a larger scale (24" x 48") than my normal 5 x 7 or 6 x 6 studies. I like making the underpainting scream- and then quickly cover it up with much calmer color notes- but leaving just enough peak through, to let you know that there is something pulsing just below the surface! It's like Lebowski's rug... "it really ties the room together" so to speak.

If you scroll pretty far down my blog page- you can see my first crack at this painting. I have always wanted to do this particular painting justice- the entire reason for doing it was to impress the viewer with the sheer volume of sky that exists here in New Mexico... at 5 x 7 it was a little underwhelming. But NOW... if you can envision the crushing weight of blue sky as it archs overhead, and ginormous columns of clouds towering above this biker... I think you can start to see where I'm going with this!

14 comments:

-Don said...

Hey Tom, "Something pulsing beneath the surface"! What a wicked definition! I look forward to seeing this beauty finished. Have fun. -Don

Douglas Hoover said...

um, Tom, your underpainting is screaming...

24x48! That's impressive. If you don't mind me asking, what's the size of your brush you're using on this one?

I must say that I'm looking forward to seeing this one come together, Tom.

Kerri Settle said...

I could always tell there was something amazing happening in your under paintings; it's good to see the start of a painting!

Tom Pohlman said...

Thanks Don & Kerri! I am trying to force myself to work quickly on this large scale, so that I can still work into the wet paint... we shall see :>)

My early observations- working on a large Canvas as opposed to a small Gessoboard- The paint doesn't cover as much ground- so I've been doing more "blending" (which I detest)! I hope to go back into some of these areas as I go.

Sheila said...

Oh my....[fanning herself] That was the most stimulating description of an artist's process I've read! That you for getting my blood flowing at warp speed this morning.

I love love love big sky paintings. Those clouds are looking awesome. I look forward to more shots or your in progress work.

artbyakiko said...

Hi Tom! It's very nice to see how you work and glad that you are doing a larger version of this painting. When I first visited your blog, this particular 5x7 caught my eye and took my breath away. It's an awesome painting with awesome composition. Will be back for the next stage.

L.Holm said...

Phenomenal Tom. Love the description of your process, and seeing the work up on the easel. Great to get a peek mid-way. Thanks!

Sally Tharp said...

Great image! And very cool to see the process!! I love it the way it is!! Can't wait to see the finished version!

Camille LaRue Olsen said...

Tom, this piece is POWERFUL!!! Man, I'm tellin'ya, I feel the weight of that big sky and I can hear "Born To Be Wild" playing as he rides along. SO great, and your "blended" colors look nice and solid. Cool!!!

Ann Rogers said...

Stunning post! It's always fun to see a painting in progress, looking forward to the next step. This size is quite an undertaking after your smaller works.

Jeb said...

Sweet! The sky is incredible! I'm liking the large scale.

-Don said...

All right, Mr. Tom, the suspense is killing me.... aaaarrgh...

Beth said...

this is just awesome!!! I use liquin to thin my paint, and I have had good success with it. I don't know if you have ever tried it, but a little dab'l do ya...I love to see you are painting this again. The old one is my favorite painting you have done.

-Don said...

Oh boy, oh boy!!! It's finished and I can hardly wait to see it in all it's glory. From what I can see so far I love the complimentary color scheme.

Way to create suspense, Tom. Now I'm going to have to stop bye over and over until you tell me what's been going on. All good, I hope... -Don