Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Framework

I have been experimenting a little more with Cholla cactus bark (I made my first frame back in Dec.). I really liked how the "wool" woven into the frame, served as an extension of the painting. I am starting to see new possibilities as my prototype versions start to evolve. Have any of you messed-around with framing materials? Thinking out loud/going forward, I would like to figure out a treatment for the corners that would be structurally sound, but not obscure as much of the frame. Any ideas?

6 comments:

Edward Burton said...

Very cool, Tom - great idea!

Sheila said...

This is beautiful Tom! Way to go green also. Have you tried pieces of muslin or thin strips of leather. Go to a Craft store and see what's there.

Tom Pohlman said...

Thanks Edward!

Sheila~ Love both of those ideas! Thanks :>)

L.Holm said...

This is SO COOL! My grandfather was a sea captain and a painter, and he used to create these amazing knotted frames from ship's lines for his paintings.
My dad did tooled leather frames, and a few from the refuse of a an old ferry that sank in port jeff harbor.
This is so cool you're doing this (did I say cool again.)
:-D

Tom Pohlman said...

Liz~ It doesn't get any cooler than knotted frames and tooled leather! I am creatively salivating thinking of the possibilities as those words ripple across my right hemisphere. With genes like that, it's no wonder you rock! That is exactly what I am trying to do with native materials!

On a tangent... Have you ever seen the beginning of the Cohen brother's "The Usual Suspects"? The camera slowly pans across a tangled mass of nautical ropes & knots... a bit of foreshadowing for a twisted plot AND a COOL visual!

L.Holm said...

Just added Usual Suspects to my Netflix queue. For the life of me I can't remember the opening sequence. thanks for the creative visual tip. :-)